What is an estimator?
An estimator is responsible for estimating the amount, cost, materials, labour and resources needed to complete a particular project or design. They often work on construction or engineering projects where they collaborate with engineers, managers and architects to discuss budgets and costs.
Estimator duties and tasks can include:
- Preparation of estimates and budgets regarding the overhead, building and manufacturing costs of projects
- Managing overall costs and recommending ways to reduce expenses
- Negotiating with contractors and sub-contractors in regards to labour costs
- Liaising with suppliers to discuss prices and discounts
- Researching the value and feasibility of a project before it begins.
These engineering tasks are particularly well-suited to being outsourced. Organisations free up their local teams’ time by sending these tasks to outsourced estimators. This allows your onshore team to focus on performing higher value, revenue generating work.